RecipesWatermelon, 2 Ways
Mojito Watermelon Wedges
1 small seedless watermelon, cut into wedges (12 to 16 wedges)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white rum, optional, leave out/replace with water to make kid friendly
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 big handful of fresh mint
2 limes, zest freshly grated
Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
2. Place the water, sugar, lime juice, rum, mint and the zest of 1 lime in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking so the sugar dissolves. Cook until just simmering then remove it from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. Pour the mixture evenly over the watermelon in the baking sheet. Move the watermelon wedges around so they are submerged in the syrup, then flip them.
4. Refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. I like to flip the watermelon once while it’s in the fridge.
5. Remove the watermelon from the syrup and place it on a platter. Sprinkle on the remaining lime zest.
6. Sprinkle on a bit of flaked salt and serve!
Watermelon, Feta & Cucumber Salad Mosaic Salad
2 cups watermelon cubes
2 cups cantaloupe cubes
1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
1 to 2 seedless cucumbers, peeled and cut into cubes
1 to 2 avocados, chopped
1 8 ounce block feta, cut into cubes
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons fresh herbs, like mint, basil and chives
For the hot honey vinaigrette
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons hot honey
1 garlic clove, freshly grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2. As a note, you can also crumble the feta or do smaller cubes. You can also leave the cherry tomatoes whole and not slice them.
3. Assemble the cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumber and feta cubes on a dish. Make the dressing as directed. Chop the tomatoes and the avocado, stick them in between a few of the cubes. There is no right way to do this! You can throw everything in a bowl, spread it out on a plate or layer it. Whatever you’d like.
4. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the dressing and cover with the fresh herbs. Serve!
Discover More on VB Edit