VB GetawayVeronica Swanson Beard's Guide to the Bahamas
In need of vacation inspiration? Veronica Swanson Beard's shares her insider's guide to one of her favorite destinations: the sun-soaked Bahamas. Here, her five quick tips to make the most of that island life.
1. Head to Harbour Island for the most beautiful—and pink!—beaches. My essentials for an idle day in the sun: a great big OCD 27 tote from Hirshleifers; sunscreen (Supergoop); magazines (I love Elle Decor and Domino); our Maili sandals (for walking to and from the beach), and enough snacks for a family with three boys.
2. No trip to the Bahamas is complete without a stop at A and A Hidden Treasures, a small shack of a shop tucked into the side of the road on Queens Highway. This is where I stock up the best straw baskets, bags and hats, all locally handmade. Ask for Alice!
3. We always stay at The Dunmore. The beachfront resort is an interior design lover's dream, a swirl of chic stripes and tropical charm.
4. Lunch where the locals lunch, Sip Sip, and make sure to try its famous lobster quesadilla. Fun fact: The name doesn't refer to the drinks—though there's plenty here, including a delicious fresh ginger margarita—but to the local slang for "gossip."
5. If you're a music lover, then head down to the islands during the summer where you can take in a number of festivals, including the curiously named Cat Island Rake and Scrape, which features traditional Bahamian music made with homemade instruments—like screwdrivers raking and scrapping across a saw.