What are the red flags of domestic violence?
Domestic violence doesn’t look the same in every relationship because every relationship is different. But one thing that most abusive relationships have in common is that the abusive partner may do different types of things to maintain power and control over their partner. Some of the signs of an unhealthy or abusive relationship include a partner who:
- Controls who you see, where you go, what you do;
- Insults, demeans or shames you with put-downs;
- Shows extreme jealousy of your friends and time spent away;
- Controls the finances in your relationship;
- Demands your social media passwords or controls who you can be friends with online; or
- Pressures you to have sex when you don’t want to or do things sexually you’re not comfortable with.
What is your advice to those in an abusive situation?
GET OUT NOW!! Realize that God didn't make your purpose in this life to be someone's punching bag with fists or words. He made you beautiful and strong and to be truly loved and respected by men. When a woman unlocks her FULL potential as a woman of God…she's the most dangerous, beautiful, and strong creature ever to walk the earth.
What type of training do advocates who are answering the hotline calls, texts and chats receive?
Advocates receive 60 hours of training on topics that include understanding the intersection of domestic violence and culture; safety planning; and working with abusive contacts. New advocates are paired with seasoned advocates for mentoring and shadowing. Finally, the advocates participate in ongoing in-service training and education sessions.
What does it cost to answer one call?
It costs $20 to answer one phone call at the National Domestic Violence Hotline, and that one call can be life-changing. That one call could be the first time someone reaches out for help. One call could lead to a life free from abuse.
SHOP LA'PORSHA'S PICKS AND SUPPORT #VBGB